Koudous du Faso
OXFAM INTERNATIONAL IN BURKINA
- Develop and implement a concept for the launch of Oxfam’s Food Justice Campaign in Burkina Faso.
Mobilize Producers, consumers and intermediaries in support of consumption of local food products by Burkinabé in support of the food justice campaign
THE CONCEPT: Les Koudous (spoon) du Faso
Organize a public tasting competition for ‘maquis’ caterers and restaurants using local produce only. With three specific objectives:
- Encourage the public to embrace local produce in different forms,
- Encourage intermediaries to purchase local produce and serve it more,
- Pressure decision makers to support small farmers that cultivate the produce,
- 3200 people came, tasted and voted (the target was 2000),
- Very strong media coverage through national and international media,
- Three ministers participated between the opening, the visit and the award ceremony and each committed to increasing support to small-scale agriculture and trade. These were the minister of Industry, Trade and Artisanal, the Minister of Agriculture and Hydraulics and the Minister of Transport, Postal services and Digital Economy,
- The Mayor of Ouagadougou came to show his support,
- 55 maquis, restaurants and caterers participated,
- Nine private sector sponsors provided the prizes for the 18 winners in six categories,
- The Koudou has now become a recurring event in the national landscape.